Stepping Stones is a new professional learning programme for recently qualified teachers in the first four years of their career post probation. It is being developed in partnership between Education Scotland and GTC Scotland, together with post-probation teachers.
This programme allows participants to choose from a variety of professional learning opportunities, including online workshops, webinars and networking.
The professional learning opportunities will all link into the GTC Scotland Standards for Registration and cover themes such as coaching, mentoring and an introduction to the Scottish education system. More themes will arise as the programme develops based upon participants' needs.
The programme is flexible - there is no minimum or maximum limit to the number of opportunities participants should undertake.
Stepping Stones Special Event - Keynote Speaker Sir John Jones
We are delighted to share that Sir John Jones will be presenting a resilience themed session for Stepping Stones participants on Thursday 25 March 16.00-17.00.
Participants should prepare to be inspired by this passionate, widely experienced enthusiastic and down to earth educationalist. Sir John has also proven himself to be one of the most entertaining, inspiring and sought-after speakers on the global educational stage.
This virtual event will initially only be open to Stepping Stones registrants. Details of how to sign up for this event will be emailed imminently to all Stepping Stones registrants.
NEW 1:1 Coaching offer for Stepping Stones participants
We are delighted to be opening registrations for a 1:1 digital online coaching offer for Stepping Stones participants. This opportunity is designed to offer an experience of being coached by a participant from the Middle Leaders programme. They will be facilitating coaching conversations which aim to support you with issues and challenges you may be facing during these challenging times. Please go to our Coaching and Mentoring Matters section if you would like to register your interest.
Stepping Stones consists of a suite of learning opportunities which take place throughout the academic year. There will be a range of options to choose from including online workshops, online professional learning activities (PLAs) and webinars.
The programme will also feature a series of opportunities and spaces where you can connect and discuss issues you’re working through, share resources and highlight interesting practice.
The programme opened with a launch webinar on 10 September 2020.
This programme will allow newly qualified teachers to connect with colleagues across Scotland and their local authority. As this is a new programme, professional learning and support will evolve across key areas as identified by the participants.
Stepping Stones is designed for all teachers in their first year following probation. Teachers who are in their second, third, and fourth year post-probation and are looking for professional learning and development are also welcome to register.
The programme will run from September 2020 to June 2021. Dates of the professional learning opportunities are listed below.
- 10 September: 16.00-17.00: Launch webinar
- 7 October, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 1 – Additional Support for Learning
- 2 November, 16.00-17.00: Coffee-catch-up
- 11 November, 16.00-17.00: Blether 1 – Additional Support for Learning
- 19 November, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 2 – Assessment
- 2 December, 16.00-17.00: Coffee-catch-up
- 10 December, 16.00-17.00: Blether 2 – Assessment
- 18 January, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 3 – The Scottish Education Context
- 3 February, 16.00-17.00: Blether 3 – The Scottish Education Context
- 4 February, 16.00-17.00: Special event – Gavin Oattes, Plant trees you'll never see
- 9 February, 16.00-17.00: Coffee-catch-up
- 24 February, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 4 – Interview skills
- 3 March, 16:00-17:00: Interview skills – Reflection into Action
- 4 March, 16.00-17.00: Special event - Gavin Oattes follow up blether
- 10 March, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 5 – Culturally responsive pedagogy
- 17 March, 16.00-17.00: Culturally responsive pedagogy – Reflection into Action
- 25 March, 16:00-17:00: Special event – Sir John Jones, Resilience
- 29 April, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 6 – Making the most of PRD
- 12 May, 16.00-17.00: Making the most of PRD – Reflection into Action
- 18 May, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 7 – Your health and wellbeing
- 26 May, 16.00-17.00:Your Health and Wellbeing – Reflection into Action
- 1 June, 16.00-17.00: Workshop 8 – What’s next after Stepping Stones? Your PL pathway
Register for the Stepping Stones programme to access booking details. To register, simply complete this form.
The programme will be delivered online. You need to register online (see below) and will require a login for the Professional Learning and Leadership website to gain access to booking details for all events.
If you would like to participate in the Stepping Stones professional learning programme, please complete this registration form.