This is an Education Scotland leadership programme.
Supporting Teacher Leadership is a programme which is aimed at teachers and others in the system who have significant experience of leading learning and teaching through practitioner enquiry in their contexts and would like to develop their confidence to support others to take an enquiring approach to practice.
- Programme pre-reading: participants engage with the texts provided and reflect on how the ideas explored relate to their own experiences of undertaking practitioner enquiry.
- Exploring, reflecting and planning: participants reflect on teacher leadership and their experiences of enquiry, leading to collaboratively planning approaches to supporting others to develop as enquiring practitioners.
- Leading in context: Participants liaise with school and system leaders in their context to identify teachers who would welcome support to develop their understanding of practitioner enquiry and then provide this support using the outcomes from the first phase of the programme. Depending on prior experience, participants may aim to provide this support to colleagues in their school, to teachers and school leaders in other schools in their local authority, or wider regional collaborative. Participants collaborate with each other online throughout this phase.
- Reflecting and sharing: participants reflect upon and share their progress and learning thus far and plan next steps.
- Becoming a facilitator: participants reflect on the programme approach and explore how they could take on a facilitator role for future programme cohorts.
Supporting Teacher Leadership is a developmental programme which supports participants to enhance their confidence and skills. Participants receive a certificate of completion and may use this to support an application for Professional Recognition via the GTCS.
The programme is aimed at teachers and others in the system who have significant experience of leading learning and teaching through practitioner enquiry in their contexts and would like to develop their confidence to support others to take an enquiring approach to practice.
The programme engagement takes place over a 6-month period, usually November to April, and is delivered through a two-day residential, and one follow-up engagement day. There is intersessional work based around leading colleagues through their enquiry and reflecting on this process.
Participants will also be invited to contribute to the joint National Sharing the Learning Summit with colleagues from the Teacher Leadership Programme.
The programme is delivered in a blended style with face-to-face sessions, supported by online learning activities.
As the Professional Learning and Leadership Team is currently funded to develop a suite of programmes, participation in the programme is free of charge, however there is no funding for cover. A small fund for travel expenses is available only for participants from Eilean Siar, Shetland and Orkney, in order to attend the residential and engagement day.
Recruitment to the programme is promoted through local authorities and schools in Scotland. Although applications are open to all, because you require time out of school we recommend that you discuss your application with your line manager.
Applicants will be asked to complete an online form providing information on their experience of leadership, practitioner enquiry, evidence gathering and collaboration, as well as their expectations of the programme.
Applications are now closed for the 2019/20 cohort.
For further information about this programme, or for an informal discussion with a Lead Specialist, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.